8.10.2015

More rare gems.

New information on Edith Meinhard is still as scarce as ever, but I have made a couple of relevant acquisitions recently. Featured below are promotional portraits for the 1931 film Voruntersuchung, notably starring Gustav Frohlich of Metropolis fame. Having been made available for the first time in at least three years, I knew I had to make them mine. Edith is Mella Ziehr, a prostitute who returns home one morning to the scene of a grisly murder, the memory of which torments her through the duration of the film. Her social status is largely irrelevant; she is treated with dignity (except by the detectives, of course) and becomes a sympathetic character. Another great performance by Edith, and one of the few surviving films in which she has a substantial role. There is a DVD available with optional English subtitles, and it's well worth a watch.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

By random chance I too have taken an interest in Edith Meinhard apart from your research. I have read your post from 2013 and the most recent one.

Did you every find out more about the Berlin address listing for Jensen-Meinhard ?

I came here tracing bios from G.W. Pabst's Diary of a Lost Girl.

Did you read anything about the actress, Valeska Gert who played the girls home matron? Its impressive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeska_Gert

Emily said...

Welcome! Always glad to find more fans of Edith. I plan on diving back into research over the winter...no new information regarding the possible Jensen-Meinhard connection as of yet. I've been meaning to look into Valeska Gert more as she seems to have led a fascinating life! Absolutely fearless.

dollface said...

Hi Emily, I found your blog on Edith while looking for pictures (for my twitter postings) of Sybille Schmitz in DOALG, and was captivated by Edith & amazed by the lack of info on her to the extent that Wiki has her at age 108! Not impossible - Danielle Darrieux was 100 yesterday! - but sadly, unlikely... I really admire your search for her & your lovely portrait. I am a fan of silent film & have done research on forgotten & unhistoried women in that genre. It's exciting to make finds! I wish you luck. The German film mags are brilliant to look at, particularly the Weimar era which fascinates me. Prompted by your blog I went looking last night through my two German Gold Filmbilder movie star cigarette card albums (466 cards in there!), but sadly no Edith or Sybille in evidence... Are you on Twitter? You can find me @best2vilmabanky if you wish! Best wishes, Michelle