2.04.2018

Old Hollywood Kitchen: Laura La Plante

One of my goals for the new year (and beyond) is to build my cooking and baking skills and be more confident in the kitchen. What better way to experiment than to bring in my love of classic film? There are many fine websites that explore celebrity recipes, but as a relatively inexperienced cook, intimidation has kept me from trying them out myself. Until now.



Perusing my stack of cookbooks, only one stood out: a well-preserved copy of Favorite Recipes of the Movie Stars, published by Tower Books in 1931. It's a slim volume, but varied in the types of recipes it offers, from light sandwiches to stews, breakfast to dessert. I figured the easiest way to take the plunge was to test a recipe with no actual cooking involved.


The charming Laura La Plante offers her Favorite Salad, an ambrosia-like creation that she recommends serving in lettuce cups along with crackers or cheese straws. The challenge with this recipe was determining the proper proportions of ingredients. How many ounces was a can of pineapple back then? A box of marshmallows? Is 1/2 pint of cream enough? Here is the recipe as I made it, with noted modifications:

Laura La Plante's Favorite Salad (updated)

1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
1 10 oz. bag mini marshmallows (I used about half of the bag)
1/2 pint whipping cream
Crisp lettuce leaves
Small crackers or cheese straws (optional)
Mayonnaise (I omitted- the heavy cream was sufficient)
Dash of paprika



Even with my changes I followed the recipe as written, and it turned out pretty well! I had hoped to find the fruit-flavored mini marshmallows to add more color, but no luck. The next time I make this recipe I might even incorporate more fruit, like maraschino cherries. As a thank-you to Ms. La Plante I'd like to recommend one of her films: the spooky, fun silent The Cat and the Canary, wonderfully restored by Kino Lorber.

(Edit: I have since made this salad with just the crushed pineapple, whipped cream and fruit-flavored marshmallows, to great success! Lighter than your standard ambrosia salad without cloying sweetness. It's like eating a pastel Art Deco cloud, if that makes any sense.)

Are you interested in making this or other film star recipes? Do you have a tried and true favorite? Feel free to share in the comments, and enjoy!


No comments: