7.08.2018

Old Hollywood Kitchen: Helen Twelvetrees and Irene Delroy

I have a pair of recipe reports today! I usually pick up avocados when they're on sale, and when the craving for guacamole struck, it was time to test out this simplified version:



Helen Twelvetrees' Wakimoli Salad

2 avocados
1/2 onion, chopped fine
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon salt (omitted)
Few grains pepper (omitted- I'm not a fan of black pepper)
Dash paprika
Head of lettuce (for presentation)
Crackers (tortilla chips are a better option here)



Guacamole was not as ubiquitous in the 1930s as it is today, and it's interesting to test one that functions more like a dip. Unfortunately, the full cup (!) of mayonnaise drowned out the velvety avocado and crisp onion, and left it too runny to be satisfying. It's worth another try, cutting back on the mayonnaise (and perhaps adding some diced tomato), but no substitute for the real deal.

The second recipe, however, was a success.



Irene Delroy's Heavenly Hash

2 cups hot milk
3 tablespoons uncooked rice
2 eggs, separated
Few grains salt (optional)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup black walnut meats
1/2 cup whipping cream (topping)

As I don't have a double boiler, I just heated the milk and rice in a saucepan, which took only 40 minutes. I was worried that either the rice would be underdone or the milk would evaporate, but checking on the rice periodically ensures that everything cooks properly. I was also unable to locate black walnuts, which have a very strong flavor, so I used regular chopped walnuts. 



It isn't until you add the vanilla that the hash starts to feel like a dessert. Very hearty and satisfying, with the vanilla lending a subtle sweetness. Next time I'll have to toast the walnuts to bring out their flavor, as they do get lost in the mix. A fine dessert for the colder months.

Normally I recommend a film by the author of each recipe I test, but Irene Delroy has a brief filmography and I've yet to see any of her work; the only Helen Twelvetrees film I've seen is Millie, though my memory of that is faint at best. I have a few more recipe tests under my belt, to be shared soon. Stay tuned.

No comments: